8:00 AM to 1:30 PM
Breakfast will be served at 8:00 am, though you do not have to attend. If you wish to sleep in, there will be always leftovers from the breakfast on the dining table for when you feel ready to get up.
After breakfast, you can walk around, rest or prepare your lessons. Volunteers are welcome to borrow bicycles and explore the area.
Lunch is usually served before school starts, so if you’re going out, check with the family to make sure you don’t miss out on delicious food.
1:30 to 4:00 PM
Students between the ages of 5-12 attend the school for two hours starting from 1:30 pm and it is usually the busiest time of the day. Students are mostly separated by ages. The classes have from 15 to 20 students.
The volunteer’s job include assisting the Khmer teachers, or another volunteer, or even planning school’s lessons to teach to the class.
Usually, the volunteers are assisted by the Khmer teachers during this classes because of the young ages of the kids. They translate and act as constant contacts for the children.
4:00 to 5:00 PM
This is free time before the older students arrive.
5:00 to 7:00 PM
Some classes are still working with a book and learning grammar. Other ones are taking conversation classes to practise speaking and pronunciation. There are also reading and writing classes.
From 8 PM onwards
Another delicious home-cooked meal will be served after school is closed. After dinner, you may relax with the other volunteers and the family. Otherwise, you can enjoy the nightlife in Prey Phkoam village.
Things to Bring With You
It may be your first volunteer experience, or you may be wondering about the circumstances in Cambodia. You may also want to know what could be useful to bring to help the school. Former volunteers have
created a list of things that could be useful for you personally, and together with the family a list about things the school needs.
We recommend that you bring the following items with you to make your stay more comfortable:
- Flip Flops, to walk outside the house
- Trainers or comfortable clothes – walks & relaxing at the house
- Water flask. Drinking water is provided from a tank. We reuse water bottles but you may prefer to use your own.
- Ear plugs – sometimes the villagers plays music at 9pm
- Insect repellent
- Although blankets are provided feel free to use your own
- Toilet paper, as the supply depends on the volunteers
- Toiletries – soap/sanitizer, shower gel, shampoo, toothpaste, etc.
- Raincoat and warm sweater depending on the season
Useful Items for the School
- School supplies: pencils, crayons, pens, rubbers, sharpeners, glue sticks, white & coloured paper
- Teachers’ materials: whiteboard markers, notebooks, etc.
- Educational games
- Story books for children, to fill the children library (age range 5-17 years).
Those supplies are permanently needed. The family will share other useful supplies depending on the time or project on the Facebook page of International Foreign Languages School- Cambodia. Thanks!
Support and Donate
IFLS provides English classes to around 150 children, teenager and young adults. The school fee is between $0 and $3/month, according to what each family can pay. The few volunteers bring in $35/week for the organisation, but much more is needed. Because of this, IFLS school still relies heavily on donations.
We understand that backpackers are often on limited budgets and as such, donations from volunteers are appreciated but not expected. As a volunteer, if you do not wish to donate money, you may prefer to consider any of the following items:
* School stationery
* Exercise books (blank)
* Materials for art projects
* Picture books
* Short and easy children’s books
* English workbooks (all levels)
* Materials for the teachers
* Board markers
Non-volunteers can help too! If you would like to help underprivileged Cambodian children by supporting their education, you may wish to make a donation of school supplies or money. To donate money, please send through TransferWise. Any amount, big or small, is a huge help.
TransferWise for donations:
Details of TransferWise
Name: HUY KRENG
Khmer Identity Card: 100901671
Address: Prey Phkoam, Cambodia
Bank account: 000406432
Thank You! Please share this!
Visit our facebook page for more photos and videos!